Dialing from a landline within México.
Just like in the US, phone numbers in México are very similar in their format, which makes it easier to remember. You have the 3 digit area code: (123) followed by a seven-digit number 123-4567.
A few exceptions exist like México City’s area code number which is made by only two digits: (55) and the phone numbers are made of 8 digits instead of 7: (1234-5678).
- To dial a local landline number, that is a number that shares the same area code with the landline you’re calling from, you need to dial the 7-digit code only. That is 1234567.
- To dial long distance landline number, that is a number that doesn’t share the same area code with the landline you’re calling from, you need to start with: 01 + (area code) + (phone number). That is: 01-(123)-1234567.
- To dial a local cell phone, that is a cell phone that shares the same area code with the landline you’re calling from, you need to start with: 044 + (area code) + (phone number). That is 044-(123)-1234567.
- To dial a long-distance cell phone, that is a cell phone that doesn’t share the same area code with the landline you’re calling from, you need to start with: 045 + (area code) + (phone number). 045-(123)-1234567.
- To dial any number in the US from México you first need to dial: 001 + (area code) + (phone number).
- To dial a toll-free number (800’s) in the US from México a toll-free forward is then done. When dialing:
- 1-800 replace with 00-1-880.
- 1-888 replace with 00-1-881.
- 1-877 replace with 00-1-882.
- 1-866 replace with 00-1-883.
Dialing to México from the US.
To make an international call from anywhere in the US you start by dialing: 011 followed by the country code, in this case, México’s country code is: 52, followed by the area code and the phone number. That is 011+52 (123)-1234567/8 (7 or 8 digits). Dialing to a landline is different than dialing to a cell so make sure you know what you are dialing to as the different scenarios below illustrate:
- To dial a Mexican landline number you need to dial 011+ (country code: 52 for Mexico) + (area code) + (phone number). That is 011+52 (123)+1234567/8.
- To dial a Mexican cell phone, you need to dial 011+52 followed by 1, this tells the carrier your intention is to call a mobile number, followed by the area code and the 7 or 8 digit phone number. That is 011+52-1-(123)-1234567/8
Dialing from a Mexican cell phone within México.
The same rules apply to landlines and cell phones when dialing within México, just keep in mind that if you’re dialing locally, that is an area code number that shares the same as the cell phone you’re dialing from, you have to dial 044.
When dialing long distance, that is a cell phone that doesn’t share the same area code as the cell phone you’re dialing from, you have to dial 045.
Local: 044 (area code) - (7-8 digit number).
Long distance: 045 (area code) - (7-8 digit number).
An added convenience of cell phones is that if you can dial landlines just by dialing the area code and the phone number without including the long-distance prefix (01) no matter where in México you are. That is (area code) - (phone number): (123)-1234567/8.
NOTE: When dialing special service numbers just dial the 3 digit code from any local phone. No more numbers or area codes are required. Public phones are OK.
You can download a full list of Mexican area codes by following this link on your web browser:
Dialing from a U.S. Cell phone
For calls within Mexico, dial +52 and the local number you are calling.
For calls to the USA, dial +1 and then add the 10 digit number you are calling.
** the + symbol can be accessed from most cell phones by pressing and holding the 0
Calls to Mexico from a U.S. Landline
011 + Country Code (Mexico *52*) + Area Code or City + Phone Number (7/8 Digits)
011 + 52 (1) + Cell Phone Number
The following options require an internet connection:
Best Value for calling from Mexico to U.S.
$39.99 USD (+ taxes & fees)*
- SECOND LINE Need to work remote? Low-cost option for an annual service
- INCLUDES 12 months of service
- Approximately $50.00 for the first year with purchase of equipment then $39.99 thereafter
- FREE companion app (calls to your magicJack HOME simultaneously ring on your mobile)
- Internet service is required to use MagicJack
Also, many people in the area have used Vonage successfully for years.
*Prices may change. Please check with provider for current pricing.
Acquiring a Mexican landline.
Landlines and internet packages are available with Telnor: Depending on your area, landline service may not be readily available.
Address: Av. Lázaro Cardenas 6, Anexa Obrera, 22703 Rosarito, B.C.
Phone Number: (661) 612 10-00